Lifeguard Recruitment Program
Train for a chance to work with us!
We’re launching an innovative, one-stop free training opportunity for aspiring lifeguard/swim instructors (certification included).
Get training that may lead to casual or full-time work with the West Vancouver Aquatics team as a Lifeguard / Instructor I.*
This intensive hands-on program will equip you with the skills, knowledge, and experience needed to guard and instruct in a variety of aquatic environments.
You will gain
- certifications required to work as a lifeguard / instructor I
- valuable teamwork and communication skills
- credits (high school students)
- a well-paying job when you’re done*
- flexible work opportunities
*Employment opportunity contingent upon successful completion of the training and recruitment process
- applicants must be at least 16 years old at the time of application
- successful completion of Bronze Medallion, Bronze Cross, and Standard First Aid / CPR C
- an acceptable police information check with vulnerable sector
- all District of West Vancouver employees are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of hire.
You will be contacted by e-mail if you are shortlisted to participate in the next stage. Only candidates meeting the minimum qualifications will be considered for advancement to the following stages:
The Pre-screening day will consist of a variety of skills assessments in and out of the pool.
Following the Pre-screening day, the Training Sessions will include Water Safety Instructor (WSI) Certification Course and National Lifeguard (NL) Certificate, running on the following days (full attendance is required):
|Friday, June 17||3–9 p.m.|
|Sunday, June 19||4–9 p.m.|
|Friday, June 24||3–9 p.m.|
|Monday, June 27*||4–9 p.m.|
|Friday, July 1||10 a.m.–6:30 p.m.|
|Sunday, July 3||10 a.m.–6:30 p.m.|
|Monday, July 4||4–9 p.m.|
|Tuesday, July 5||8:30 a.m.–3 p.m.|
|Wednesday, July 6||8:30 a.m.–3.m.|
|Sunday, July 10||4–9 p.m.|
|Tuesday, July 12||4–9 p.m.|
|Wednesday, July 13||4–9 p.m.|
*Online modules for WSI will need to be completed (approx. 13 to 20 hours) before July 1 (not included in the academy schedule)
Following successful completion of the training, some candidates will be selected to attend a panel interview.
How to apply: steps in the Summer 2022 recruitment process
Successfully completing a step does not guarantee that you will move on to the next step
Step 1: Application period
Application deadline: Monday, June 6, 2022
Step 2: Pre-screening day
Monday, June 13, 2022 (7–9 p.m.)
Step 3: Training
June 17 to July 13
Step 4: Panel interview
Interviews will take place between July 14 and 16
Step 5: Start dates